- Big advertising agencies have shed employees, but some smaller independents and in-house brand teams are still hiring.
- As clients prioritize diversity and inclusion, headhunters are looking beyond “cookie-cutter” candidates with traditional portfolios or experience.
- To find work again, laid-off ad pros will have to reinvent themselves, learn new skills, and diversify, recruiters say.
- Here’s Business Insider’s first list of 13 top headhunters in the advertising industry.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
When the coronavirus pandemic hit consumer spending, it also walloped advertising budgets. Agencies, many owned by holding companies, slashed staff. As Business Insider has reported, the cuts have upended the industry.
Still, some headhunters say their clients are hiring. Small and midsize agencies, often leaner and nimbler, continue to grow. Brands needing to pivot post-pandemic are relying on in-house marketing teams and agency partners. And ad pros who know how to position brands to a stuck-at-home audience are in high demand.
Business Insider identified 13 leading headhunters in advertising and marketing communications, considering factors like size, longevity, and clients. They range from sole proprietors to international search firms, along with two in-house talent officers. While their views on the market diverge, they agree that the pandemic, diversity needs, and remote work have changed advertising — and search — forever.
“Agencies are raising the bar. They want specific experiences, styles of work, and levels of talent,” said Barbara Tejada, the owner of New York’s Mighty Recruiting.
Here are 13 advertising recruiters to know right now, in alphabetical order by last name.